Sunday 4 November 2012

The WANTED Album cover inspiration



Above are all of THE WANTED Singles, Albums and EPs. As you can see the main colours ranges from blues to reds to grey. I want my CD cover to be relevant to them as a band and not get distracted from them as a band, but have a little edge and difference to it. 

I want to keep the element of the band in the artwork, but I don't want to just copy and paste an image they already have. So what I want to do is use one of the techniques that I really enjoyed doing. As the band are called The WANTED, I thought it might be great idea to basically make the design of my artwork like a wild west wanted poster. Here is the tea/coffee stained piece of paper I scanned in, so I can use this as the background for my album artwork. I think that this a good opportunity to change the style of the band design.


For the photo of the band I wanted to use a image that you could see all of the bands face. This is the photo I choose, the reason why I picked this was because of that you can see the detail in the faces, and there is also a lot of dark and shade in it to. With this picture I didn't want to copy an paste into to the artwork, I wanted to make it my own. 

From all the techniques that i have processed and experimented with i really enjoyed doing the stencilling activities. Two artists that i was inspired by were Miles Donavon and Jonathan Tran. These designers a notorious known well for the graffiti art work and stencil designs to promote there own work or work of different people. These two really did give me a push forward to see what I could work with, by using stencil work. 


So with this image i used masking fluid on the white parts of the photo. Once i had let that dry i then painted brown paint onto the page then finally washed the paper with tea and coffee to get the old fashion. This was the final outcome of it. It did take me a while to get the right result. But in my opinion it worked in my favour.



Also staying with the stencil theme i wanted to make the stencil out of my logo design so it all fits in together. So to start my logo stencil i cut around the letters making bridges so the letters would become hard to read. Once the logo was cut out i spray painted different colours onto another piece of paper. Then scanned them into the computer and placed them onto my final packaging design. Here are the spray-painted logo. 

I really did enjoy all of this stencil work as I believe it has really given the album artwork for my band a new look. Even though it is simple it is still eye-catching and very intriguing if you haven't heard or seen the band before. Hopefully people would want to buy this CD not because of who its by, but also how the album has been designed

No comments:

Post a Comment